When you’re the best, everyone wants a shot at the title. Whether, it’s the money, the world title, or a chance to become the best, it seems every fighter within 10 pounds has thrown out a challenge to the PacMan. And after this past weekend, you can add another. Let’s examine further:
Mayweather and Mosley
It’s beating a dead horse when talking about the challenges thrown out by Mayweather and Mosley toward Pacquiao. The world wants to see Mayweather and Pacquiao fight to carve their names deeper into Boxing’s history books. But I don’t see either of these fights happening and here’s why:
If Mosley wins then he has a mandatory rematch against Mayweather. Which means by time Mosley was able to fight Pacquiao he would be at least 40. I don’t see Team Pacquiao signing up to face Mosley at that age unless he can beat Mayweather both times. And, I don’t think Mosley will beat Mayweather twice.
If Mayweather wins, we all know that there will be no compromise on the blood testing stand-off. Floyd or Manny will retire before either relaxes on their demands.
Andre Berto
After his win this past weekend, Andre Berto and his manager dropped the two most impressive words in Boxing “Manny Pacquiao”. Team Berto said they were interested in fighting Manny.
"Now we want Manny Pacquiao. Whenever Manny wants to fight us, we are ready." Lou Dibella, Berto’s promoter.
Jason Johnson Sacramento, CA “With Berto’s solid win, do you see him ever fighting Pacquiao?”
Give Berto another solid win in the division and I would like to see this fight happen next year. I think it would be much more appealing to the fans since Berto wont just eat 1200 punches like Clottey. In fact, I’d like to see Berto and Clottey fight.
Antonio Margarito
“I want to fight Manny Pacquiao. He has my title belt and I want it back. I know I can beat him.” Margarito, Boxingscene.com
This fight seems to be gaining some momentum. It could possibly happen by the end of this year.
Juan Manuel Marquez
“When the fight between Mayweather against Pacquiao fell through, De La Hoya told me that I was the next option [for Pacquiao] and I told him that I was ready to fight once more with him. He told me that he would speak with Bob Arum, but in the end they surprised me with his decision that he preferred to sign another fight, so once again he is afraid me.” Marquez, BoxingScene.com
Freddie Roach has gone on record saying that he wants another fight with JMM so that Manny could knock out JMM once and for all.
"Personally, that's the fight I want. Nacho [Beristain] is a good trainer and we're competitive, and I'd love for Manny to knock him [Marquez] out," Roach, ABS-CBNnews.com
Yuri Foreman
“And Pacquiao, listen, is such a great fighter in my eyes. Really, he's pretty much the pound-for-pound best. And that's a great compliment when it's coming from him that he's considering me as a fighter or an opponent. That's a great honor” Yuri Foreman, Fanhouse
Cory Spinks
“Of course, if Manny Pacquiao wants to do something historic and try for my title at 154, I would welcome that.” Cory Spinks, Boxingscene.com
Edwin Valero
Valero not only wants to fight Manny but he thinks the world wants to see it. When asked about Manny after his victory over Antonio DeMarco, Valero had this to say:
"That's the fight the world wants to see," Valero, USAToday
Last year, after his fight against Antonio Pitalua, Valero made the following comments:
“If Manny Pacquiao give me an opportunity, I would consider moving up and fighting them . . . . No man can take my punch." Valero, Examiner.com
Conclusion
When you are the world’s best fighter, there will be challengers from all weight classes and levels of success. The challenges will continue until Manny is no longer the world’s best. In my opinion, all of these challenges truly reflects how
I'm sure there are more fighters out there who have recently challenged Pacquiao. Feel free, to leave the fighter's name and quote.
Source
No comments:
Post a Comment